March 21, 2012
The Charlotte Bobcats have announced that they’ve waived veteran forward Boris Diaw.
Diaw’s agent said Wednesday morning that his client reached an agreement on a contract buyout that will allow him to sign with another team.
Doug Neustadt said Diaw is leaving Charlotte on good terms but that “losing was tough this year and he really wants to be able to participate on a playoff team.”
The Bobcats have won only seven games this season, worst in the NBA.
Diaw was in the final year of his contract and still owed about $2 million of his original $9 million salary this season. It’s unclear how much money Diaw gave up to leave. The Bobcats open one of 15 roster spots and save some of what’s left of Diaw’s salary.
The 29-year-old Diaw had fallen out of favor with coach Paul Silas this season and barely played in the last three weeks, often listed as inactive. He only played twice over the past eight games. Before the recent benching, Diaw had previously played a Bobcats-record 258 consecutive games, all but a handful as a starter in his 3 ½ seasons with the team.
He started 28 games this season and averaged 7.4 points and 5.3 rebounds.
Please Like CH’s New Facebook Page! New Giveaways Coming Soon! www.facebook.com/charlottehappeningcom
Follow CH on Twitter! www.twitter.com/charlottehappen