2019 Martin Luther King Jr Day Events In Charlotte
Start Date: January 18, 2019
End Date: January 23, 2019
Time: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
2019 Martin Luther King Jr Day – Events and celebrations honoring the life and legacy of MLK. Taking place in and around Charlotte, NC. Official observance on Monday, January 21, 2019. Events planned throughout the week.
Thursday, Jan. 17
- Bridging the Difference, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., Halton Theater, CPCC, 1206 Elizabeth Avenue, Charlotte. The Bridging the Difference community engagement series will tackle the topic — access and opportunity. We will feature a moving slam poetry contest (where you get to vote for the winner!) spearheaded by Slam Master and Coach of the national champions, Slam Charlotte — Boris “Bluz” Rogers! (Cash prizes will be awarded!). We will also highlight a dynamic panel of special guests including Civil Rights Activist Dorothy Counts-Scoggins. RSVP Here
Saturday, Jan. 19
- Atrium Health Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Parade, 10 a.m. – noon, Uptown Charlotte. The parade will march down Tryon Street, beginning at 9th Street and ending at Stonewall Street. More than 100 community organizations, marching bands and step and drill teams will participate. Highlights will include floats with the student winners of the CMS MLK Art and Writing Contests and local performance groups.
- Atrium Health Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Growing the Dream Award Ceremony, 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Johnson C. Smith University. A luncheon held to honor community members who work to foster unity and promote diversity and multiculturalism in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. Invite only.
- Martin Luther King Jr. PEACE Basketball Showcase, 2 p.m. – 9 p.m., Second Ward Gym, 710 E. Martin Luther King Jt Blvd, Charlotte. Eight teams from across North and South Carolina compete in an invitational competition. There is a charge for admission and tickets are available for purchase at the door.
Monday, Jan. 21
Atrium Health Martin Luther King Jr. National Observance & CMS Arts Writing Contest Awards, 10 a.m. – noon, Halton Theater, CPCC, 1206 Elizabeth Ave., Charlotte. A multimedia display of the arts, featuring Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools students in spoken word, music and dance performances, as well as their paintings, sculptures and other works of art. The program will engage people of all ages in reflecting on the words of Dr. King as a moral opinion leader.
Harvey B. Gantt Center is Food Lion Presents: MLK Day Celebration, an all-day event exploring issues of economic equity with panel discussions, art-making workshops, guided tours, film screenings and more. The schedule of events may be found here.
Please Like CH’s New Facebook Page! New Giveaways Coming Soon! www.facebook.com/charlottehappeningcom
Follow CH on Twitter! www.twitter.com/charlottehappen
- Start Date: February 4, 2023
- End Date: February 4, 2023
- Time: 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Location: Slate Charlotte: 200 East Bland St, Charlotte, NC
- Start Date: February 11, 2023
- End Date: February 11, 2023
- Time: 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Location: Discovery Place Science: 301 North Tryon St, Charlotte, NC
- Start Date: January 14, 2023
- End Date: January 18, 2023
- Time: -
- Location: Various Locations: Greater Charlotte Area